c o n t a c t u s

R-2 visa

One can enjoy the following benefits on R-2 visa:

  • On R-2 dependent visa, an individual can:
  • Participate in full-time course of study in the U.S.
  • Travel freely in and out of the US during the valid visa period.
  • Apply for permanent residency status (Green Card).


If you want to change the purpose of your visit while you reside in the country on a R2 visa, then you have to change or adjust your visa status. For this purpose, the R2 visa holder must file Form I-360 (application for special immigrant) and Form I-485 (application for Adjustment of Status).

Employment Regulations:

Under any circumstances, persons holding R2 are not allowed to earn income in the US. To be exact, the R-2 visa holders can not accept any employment. If they wish to work in the country, they must obtain a work visa, which is a temporary approval to live and work in the country. 

Extension of stay:

The initial R-2 visa may be granted for a period of up to three years. The R2 holder can apply for extension, if he/she wishes to stay longer. In this case, the applicant must submit Form I-129 (petition for a nonimmigrant worker extension) to the USCIS. In general, extension of stay may be approved for a period of up to two years. To be clear, the total period of stay for a person holding R2 dependent visa may not exceed five years.

Contact us for more details